Monday, April 29, 2013

DIY Texturizing Spray


Thought all you soapers might be into some natural hair texturizing spray so here is the recipe and what it looks like on my hair. I've used Mousse for years and wanted to stop but I like a crunchy hair style. A little experimenting and I got a good texture going! Just what I wanted! Try it and let me know how it works for you! Oh and by the way, I use my soaps for shampoo bars and finish with a water-vinegar rinse.

DIY Texturizing Spray
This is a very easy to make spray, and it literally costs about 1/50th of the store bought versions. It adds great texture and volume to hair without the harsh chemicals. If you make it yourself it gives you more options to customize it for your hair type to get the texture you want.
Ingredients:
1 cup of hot water (not boiling) or Chamomile Tea for blondes, any type of black tea for brunettes-I use Oolong mixed with Chai,  and raspberry or black berry for red heads. (If you use tea you will need to keep in the fridge or use a preservative, I use a teaspoon of Vodka)
2 tablespoons Epsom Salts (or more for extra texture)
1/2 tsp  Salt-Himalayan or Sea Salt (optional but adds stiffness)
1 teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel
1 teaspoon Vodka (preservative)
3-4 drops light weight oil-I use Argan Oil(I get mine from Swanson’s online) or a few drops of essential oils
Scents are optional: I use a ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, but any type of extract you like will work, or use a spritz of your favorite cologne.
10 oz or larger Spray Bottle
To lighten the hair add 1 teaspoon lemon juice
To darken the hair add ½ teaspoon rosemary or black walnut extract
Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a glass or bowl and transfer to your spray bottle (I use a funnel because I’m not good at pouring into a small opening) or put all the ingredients directly into your spray bottle and shake until the salts are dissolved.  Store in the fridge if using lemon juice or tea base, or at room temperature if you aren’t. This will last 3-4 months but if you use it every day like I do you’ll be making more next month! ;)

To Use:
Spray on damp hair and scrunch with a towel to dry for loose natural waves. Or use a blow dryer with diffuser. I used a blow dryer on mine. You can also spray on dry hair at the roots for volume without the waves. 

Top

Left Side

Right Side

Back

No comments: