Friday, September 13, 2013

Lining Soap Molds

Taking the horror out of lining a soap mold

When I first started making soap I used Parmalat Milk boxes because they are the perfect size and shape for the perfect size bar of soap-they even release the soap because the inside of the box has a nice lining. They make adorable soaps!  The problem is they only did 5-6 bars of soap at a time.





So I asked my talented husband if he could make me some "cool" soap molds that fold down. I showed him some online that were over $100. He said, "Okay, I can do that and for a whole lot less money".
 I was so excited when he made them!! Then came the horror, the unthinkable! 
How do I put soap in them and get the soap out? What do I use to line them with? I had no idea!


First I tried Vaseline on the sides and bottom because I'd read that mineral products do not saponify during the gel phase. This is what happened:


As you can see I had some trouble with that one! My husband had to help me get the sides to "unstick" The soap still was pretty though!
Coconut Chocolate Swirl





Next I tried parchment paper, the soap released but ended up with vertical lines along the bottom where the wood grain came through the parchment paper!
I tried

  • plastic bags-eek!
  •  plastic wrap-too hard to get perfect on the sides!
  •  fiberglass-stuck!
  •  hard plastic-stuck!
  •  rubber-stuck!
  •  Laminate-stuck!
  •  Silicone-stuck!
  • Freezer Paper-works but it has to be measured and cut very precise
  • Parchment Paper-works but leaves lines, also has to be measured and cut very precise

 All of them had problems of one kind or another. Lining the "cool new molds" became my nightmare! More than once I ended up messing it us and starting over and over. I got some freezer paper and used a ruler and tried really hard to get it cut just right. Often I ended up wasting paper because one little corner was cut wrong. It made me depressed and just the thought of lining a mold got me tenser than a banjo string!

I started putting a piece of freezer paper on the bottom, and a piece on each side. I figured out I could wrap the ends with plastic wrap and that worked out great. It wasn't ideal, the soap would get around the seams, or the soap wouldn't have good edges. Making soap is my way to relax, it's something I truly enjoy but the lining issue was stealing all my peace and fun! 

Then one day, I had a IDEA!

  "why not just lay it across the middle?" 

It worked! And I could do it in a few minutes with no measuring, with just a few folds it was done! The paper was now under the end pieces and flush against the plastic wrapped ends. I still had some leaks on thinner pours but Marty, my husband, saw me struggle with the mess and took care of the problem! He kidnapped the molds that were leaking and glued some silicone rubber onto the bottoms. Now when I tighten the wing nuts it has a secure seal with NO MORE LEAKS! Yay! Here's a couple videos that show how I learned to line the molds:



Making soap became fun again now that the set up for the molds could be dealt with quickly and easily.

Have you had a bad lining day? Cheer up! You will figure out the answer. :)

Take care and God Bless!

Marla
MJR Soaps

No comments: