Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Soaping for 2013

What I learned in 2013

  • Etsy is a not a good place to sell soap, it is very difficult because there are so many selling it!
  • I sell more soap by word of mouth and in person
  • Farmer's Markets and festivals are good places to sell soap
  • Ebay is a great place to sell soap
  • Don't trust the U.S.P.S.- check the tracking!
I have too many varieties of soap and too much soap in inventory, so unfortunately I am not making any new soaps right now. My inventory needs to go down. It's amazing to me, last year I was frantic to get an inventory built up. I think I did too good of a job! At last count I still have 289 full size soaps. (This doesn't include all my small hearts or squares.)
An associate of mine asked me about making 5000+ bars a month for them and at this time I had to decline. I honestly don't have the room to do it!

So here I sit, not making soap. I miss it so much! Sniffle sniffle.

If I can find a way to sell soap and reduce inventory then I can make some new soap, oh how happy I will be! :)


Meanwhile, I can say I am selling soap. Just not humongous quantities. It's more like 20 this week and 3 next week... it comes and goes! At holiday time I made 3 batches that are nearly gone. And I made more of a type I already had (Almond Goats Milk) and a new goats milk (Mayan Gold Goats Milk) to replace another type I ran out of. (Caramel Latte' Goats Milk)

How about you? How is your business going? Successful and busy? Or slow and steady?

I'm praying to do well in 2014 and build my business bigger!

Have a great day!

Marla
MJR Soaps

2 comments:

Angie T. said...

Hi Marla! I am the opposite right now. I've decided to invest in a permanent booth at a local farmer's market this year, so I'm making as much soap as possible right now! Last year, I learned that November is not a good time to make Christmas soap, so will start that earlier this year! I hope you sell lots of yours this year. I haven't attempted ebay yet, maybe I'll put that on my to do list. Cute pictures, btw!

MJR Soaps Marla Riedling said...

That's wonderful Angie! I hope you sell a ton of soap! :) Farmer's Markets are so much fun, I did those last year too. Around here there are so many to go to that it is overwhelming trying to decide which ones would benefit the people the best. It is fun interacting with people! It will be great when the nice weather gets here and they open them back up. Good luck with your season!