Sunday, August 11, 2013

Back from vacation

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted, I've just been gone a lot. Traveling and doing lots of fun summer stuff!

Just got back from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Playing in the surf with my grand daughter.

Aren't we a motley crew? LOL!

Marty and I

We had a wonderful time playing in the water, making sand castles and checking out all the cool stuff along the Myrtle Beach board walk. I even got to try out some sunscreen-salt water was too much for it! Oh well! I'll have to make something stronger for salt water. It held up fine in fresh water. 

Going to Myrtle Beach was a lot of fun and many thanks go out to Marty Riedling Jr. and Megan Riedling for inviting us and putting up with us! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs!

________________________________________________________________________________

The B-I-G Project




The last few weeks we have also been involved in a B-I-G project: a 24' x 45' carport!


This is up one lot from ours, Marty's sister's family own it. They plan to bring their boat and other travel trailer down to the lake and park it under this ginormous carport!



It has been lots of work for Norm going up and down the ladders! Marty and I were helpers on this project and helped from the ground. I ran the winch and helped where I could. Marty drove the tractor, manned the ropes and did whatever he could to help. It's been sweaty, tiring and I think, for me anyway, a lot of fun! ;) Nothing like good hard work! Makes you sleep better at night and burns some calories to boot!

I'll be posting a video of how this building went up later when it's completely done. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a few extension ladders, a tractor, a ATV winch and some ropes and pulleys! And of course some very ingenius ideas to raise the Trusses! Stay tuned.....
___________________________________________________________________________


Meanwhile back at the soaping lab....

I carved up U's and K's out of styrofoam and wrapped them securely in plastic wrap. Tonight I put the U's and K's into a flat tray mold and made a batch of plain white soap. I took it to a heavy trace and spooned the soap into the flat tray around the letters and between, tamping the box down to drop the soap deeper. Then scraped the tops of the letters and added enough soap to bring it to a level inch. Now it is setting up, as soon as it is firm I will remove the letters. 

The orange mango soap that has been sitting on the shelf finally got put to some good use! I carved 12 wildcat paws adding black pads using charcoal soap and white claws from some plain white soap. Once the white soap is ready and the letters removed I will pull the white soap from the flat tray, repaper it and place the claws in the mold.

The final step is the deep blue soap, it will be interesting to see if I can get it dark enough! The blue soap can be poured so will be a very light trace. I will put a cup into a squeeze bottle for the U and K holes and pour the rest around the wildcat claws. This has been a long time coming and I am very excited to see it to completion! 

When I go to the Kentucky Pride Week at University of Kentucky I want to bring some soap the kids will ooh and aah over! I'm hoping this will all work out. I will keep you posted and put up pictures when done. One of these days I'll video the soap making! :)

So that's the news for now,

Talk to you again real soon!

God bless,

Marla
MJR Soaps

No comments: